Geriatric Medicine/DRs. choice

Hello, I am a caregiver for my 84 year old mother. She currently sees a G.P. or what you might call a family DR. I am not totally satisfied with the doctor. It's not that she is terrible but I wish she had a little better DR. My sister claims that I should be taking her to a good Internal Medicine DR. She has been to a lot of DRs in her life. She claims the Internal Medicine DRs on average are much better. What do you think ?
Thank You.

Hi Doug,

I apologize for the delay. I was not sent an automatic response email to my home email notifying me that your question was waiting.

In general there is not much difference between a family doctor or GP, which stands for general practitioner and an IM, which stands for internal medicine doctor. The "specialty" of the GP is internal medicine. Is there a particular medical problem or chronic condition that you believe could be treated more effectively than it is currently?

If dementia is a concern, two other viable options are to see a geriatric psychiatrist who works with slowing down memory deterioration and out of character or undesirable behaviors and actions, or a geriatric physician. The latter specializes in geriatric care. For the most part, I believe they only see patients over the age of 65. Although it is a specialty, for insurance purposes I'm pretty sure they are still considered a primary care doctor.

If there is a specific condition or symptom you are concerned about or if you have questions as to why your mom is taking certain medications, please feel free to email me back.

Again, I am sorry for the delay. We are working on correcting this problem with the computer system.

Geriatric Medicine

Gayle Gwozdz

My name is Gayle and I am an adult nurse practitioner (APRN)whose practice has focused on geriatrics in long term care facilities, evaluating and prescribing medications for medical and psychiatric conditions. I presently perform geriatric home assessments and physical exams in patients' homes. I can answer questions related to assisting adult children in keeping their parents at home, advising when a specialist should be consulted, advising if medications may be causing certain new problems that have arisen. Having cared for my dad with Alzheimer's for 14 years I am quite knowledgeable about what is normal and abnormal when it comes to this disease. I can help direct individuals to resources and support services that they may be unaware of. Lastly, I can make recommendations that can be brought back to the patient's doctor if he/she is willing to consider alternatives to the current treatment plan regarding a particular issue or medical problem.

I am an adult nurse practitioner with nearly 5 years experience in primary care, focusing on geriatric clients. I cared for my parents in the final 15 years of their lives interacting with healthcare providers, home nursing agencies, state agencies, Medicare and Medicaid representatives, palliative care and home hospice agencies. Prior to becoming an APRN I worked as an emergency dept. nurse for 15 years and 12 years for a large health insurance company providing medical reviews for underwriting, educating underwriters on medical conditions, utilization review and case management, requesting exceptions from medical directors to allow patients to receive medications or treatments not normally covered under their insurance plan, and I assisted in the area of reviewing complex medical claims for payment.

CT APRN American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Sigma Theta Tau International (SITT) AARP

"Walk A Corridor in My Shoes" published in November, 2004, Nursing Spectrum.

Associate Degree in Nursing from Greater Harford Community College BSN from CCSU MSN in Nursing Management from the University of Hartford MBA from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute MSN with Adult APRN from Quinnipiac University Graduate Certificate in Geriatric Care Management from the University of Florida Reiki Master Legal Nurse Consultant