Geriatric Medicine/shingles

Question
Can you have a mild case of shingles on your arm and top of your foot?  It looks like chicken pox but only 4, very small blisters.  Two on foot that don't look like blisters yet, just red bumps.

Answer
Hi Victoria,

It is certainly possible to have a very mild case of Shingles. If you are within a 48 hour period of noticing it, your healthcare provider may be able to write a prescription for an anti-viral medication such as Valtrex which may lessen the symptoms or any discomfort you may feel as a result of the outbreak.

You don't state your age, if you've had Chicken Pox in the past, or if you have any chronic ongoing medical conditions.

You'll want to be careful not to scratch it so hard that the blisters break open because that is when it becomes contagious - through direct contact with body fluids. You'll want to keep the areas clean and dry. You may want to put a piece of gauze or a dry dressing on these areas depending upon whether or not they have crusted over yet.

If you can't get in to see your primary care, a walk in center should be able to help you. I'd suggest calling first.

Without knowing what, if any, medications you may be taking I'm hesitant to suggest that you take anything for the itching, if it is problematic for you. However, many people are able to take Benadryl with good results as long as they don't have any allergies to it. I've seen doctors order topical creams from Calomine lotion (used for Poison Ivy) to Capsacin (beats me what they were thinking; I thought it was used to relieve pain...).

If you are worried that this may happen again in the future, I'd suggest waiting 6 months to a year, literature varies, and getting the Shingles vaccine. Yes, you can still get the vaccine after you've had Shingles - just not during the outbreak, immediately after, or within the following 6 months. I'd suggest waiting the whole year. That's what I'd do but if your healthcare provider suggests differently, it's okay.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Gayle

Geriatric Medicine

Gayle Gwozdz