German Language/pronunciation of family name Maurer

Question
I recently found out that one of my forefathers changed our family name from the German Maurer (the a had an umlat" to Mowry.  I am curious to see how close the pronunciation of my current family name is to what it originally was.  Can you provide me with the German pronunciation of Maurer?  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hello Kurtis,

thank you for your question.
There is some difference between the German Mäurer and English Mowry.

In German "äu" is pronounced is like "oy" in English. It is important that the ä is an Umlaut here.
The "r" sounds also a bit different in German.

If you go here:
http://www.dict.cc/?s=Maurer
you can listen to the pronounciation of a German word which is quite close to Mäurer. Just click on one of the loudspeakers on the right, next to "Maurer"
In fact, I think that your family name means that one of your ancestors once had this profession.
So, in order to get the correct pronounciation, just replace the "ow" sound in Maurer with "oy" and you get Mäurer.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Janina

German Language

Janina