German Language/Grammar & Style

Question
I would like to know if the following sentence is constructed properly. If not, how should it be written? Thank you!

Sie fuhr nach Paris, die sie seit lange sehen wollte.

What I am trying to say is: She traveled to Paris, which she had long wanted to see.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sally

Answer
Hi Sally,

your sentence is almost correct.
Paris is not grammatically feminine though, so "die" wouldn't work here. Also, your English sentence uses the past perfect tense ("had wanted"), and the German sentence should use that too.
Because of the modal "wollen", the best translation would be:
"Sie fuhr nach Paris, das sie schon seit langem hatte sehen wollen."

Unless you are an advenced student of German please ignore the whole modal/past perfect business. :-)

HTH,
Cornelia  

German Language

Cornelia Neumann