German Language/Grammar & Style

I would like to know if the following sentence is constructed properly. If not, how should it be written? Thank you!

Sie fuhr nach Paris, die sie seit lange sehen wollte.

What I am trying to say is: She traveled to Paris, which she had long wanted to see.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Sally,

your sentence is almost correct.
Paris is not grammatically feminine though, so "die" wouldn't work here. Also, your English sentence uses the past perfect tense ("had wanted"), and the German sentence should use that too.
Because of the modal "wollen", the best translation would be:
"Sie fuhr nach Paris, das sie schon seit langem hatte sehen wollen."

Unless you are an advenced student of German please ignore the whole modal/past perfect business. :-)

German Language

Cornelia Neumann

I can answer questions regarding grammar and style, as well as many questions about German culture, history, and literature.

I am native speaker with a German degree in Teaching English as a Foreign Language and German. I lived and worked in the USA for seven years (taught high school and all college levels) and spent three years as a high school teacher of German and EFL at an international school in Mexico. In 2006 I returned to Germany, where I am currently working as a teacher in Hamburg.

M.A., M.Ed., ABD, etc. etc.

As is a volunteer site I've opted not to get rated - don't let that put you off though. :-)