German Language/when to use wann or other words for when

Question
Please help me to understand when to use "wenn""wann""als"and any other words for when...

I think that I understand that "wenn" means if/when while "als"is more of a when ( long time ago) and "wann"is the form of when used to ask a question...

So, how would one say this sentence in German: When I was a child, I could not go to bed whenever I wanted to. I had to go to bed when my parents said I should.  Please help me "correct" the following.... "Als ich ein Kind war, könnte ich nicht ins Bett wann ich wollte. I musste ins Bett wenn meine Eltern sagte ich sollte."

Thank you!

Answer
Hello Sally,

thank you for your question.

First, I'd like to tell you that you translated the three meanings in your example sentence correctly. There are some smaller mistakes in it, but not in the usage of wann, wenn and als.

If we take out the smaller mistakes the German sentence would sound like this:
"Als ich ein Knd war, konnte ich nicht ins Bett wann ich wollte. Ich musste ins Bett, wenn meine Eltern es mir sagten."

"Als ich ein Kind war" is correct, as it refers to a specific time in the past.
"Ich konnte nicht ins Bett wann ich wollte" is correct because it refers to a specific time on the clock, and you can rephrase it as a question:" Wann wollte ich ins Bett? Um ... Uhr."

"Wenn meine Eltern es mir sagten" is correct because you could rephrase it as a "dann-wenn" condition: Ich musste dann ins Bett, wenn meine Eltern es mir sagten.

I also found some websites that have some more information in English about it:
This is focusing on wenn / wann: http://german.about.com/library/blconfus_wann.htm
This is focusing on als, and it's also fun to read: http://yourdailygerman.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/meaning-of-als/
Here's another one focusing on wenn / wann, it's the same blog as above: http://yourdailygerman.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/difference-wann-wenn/

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Janina

German Language

Janina