German Language/old text

Question
the text
the text  
hello, can you translate into English the sentence begins with Um?
i have 2 problems: 1. ds. Mts. = of this month? 2. do you know what is the meaning of Kaiserstaden, which probbaly should be read as "Kaiser staden" becuase there is No Gothic special S at the end of Kaisers. Many thanks.

Answer
Hello Itamar,

thank you for your question. Reading this old Gothik font can really be difficult.

The first sentence of this article would be in English:

"On the 21st of the month the laying of the foundation stone for the construction of the boarding bridge, the so-called Kaiserstaden, took place here."

The first sentence actually starts with "Am", and you're correct, ds. Mts. means of this month. Kaiserstaden or Kaiserstade, seems to have been a pier or something in Haifa. I found a link that might also help you with this.
http://books.google.de/books?id=4EPGeE5JxbEC&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=Kaiserstaden&

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Janina

German Language

Janina