German Language/only and just

Grüss Gott!
How do you say only in German?
An example: From now on we will only be speaking German?

And how do you say just in German?
An example: Don't worry, it's just a dog?

Hell Hank,

thank you for your question, and I am very sorry for taking quite a while for answering.

In fact, in both examples you sent me, you would use "nur" in German.

The first sentence would translate as:
Ab jetzt sprechen wir nur noch deutsch.

The second example would be translated as:
Keine Sorge, es ist nur ein Hund.

However, in other context, mainly in those that refer to time, you can also use erst in German.
Example: It was only seven o'clock when we came home.

Translation: Es war erst sieben Uhr als wir nach Hause kamen.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

German Language

As a native German speaker working professionally with languages, I can answer questions concerning German grammar, spelling and punctuation. I can also help with understanding and short German-English translations. As I also speak French, I might also be helpful concerning German-French translations. Translation only refers to short texts here.

I am a German native speaker working as a translator for English and French. I am concerned with language issues as grammar and spelling on a daily basis. I am very interested in these kind of topics, as any good translator should be. I also have a very good insight in the differences between English and German (and also French), so I might be able to give helpful explanations why specific things are the way they are in a specific language.

I am a member of the German Translator Association BDÜ.

My translations are published in form of manuals, company and product presentations, and websites, but you won't find my name there, as translators of technical texts are only rarely featured.

I studied translation at the University of Applied Sciences in Cologne (FH Köln), and have been working as a freelance translator for five years now.

I haven't received any awards, but receiving awards is really quite rare for translators.

Mostly translation agencies in many different countries.