German Language/cry/weep

In German translation of the Bible we have " Und Jesus gingen die Augen über." and "Und Jesus weinte.".
Could please explain those sentences? Are those sentences good examples of how you say cry/weep in modern German?

Hi Hank,

"weinen" would be the most common, most neutral word for "to cry". "Heulen" would be somewhat derogatory, "flennen" even more so.
"Und Jesus gingen die Augen über" is rather old-fashioned and people today would never say it - in fact, in modern usage the phrase would mean something like "Jesus couldn't believe his eyes".

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can help you further.

Best regards,

German Language

Cornelia Neumann

I can answer questions regarding grammar and style, as well as many questions about German culture, history, and literature.

I am native speaker with a German degree in Teaching English as a Foreign Language and German. I lived and worked in the USA for seven years (taught high school and all college levels) and spent three years as a high school teacher of German and EFL at an international school in Mexico. In 2006 I returned to Germany, where I am currently working as a teacher in Hamburg.

M.A., M.Ed., ABD, etc. etc.

As is a volunteer site I've opted not to get rated - don't let that put you off though. :-)