German Language/The word "Schulvikar"

Question
Hello,
I have come across the word "Schulvikar" listed as a witness in several German marriage and death records from the 1830s.  I know that "Schul" is "school" and "Vikar" is "vicar", but what, exactly, is a "Schulvikar"?  I cannot find it in a dictionary.  Is this word still used today?
Thank you.

Answer
Hello Ronald,

thank you for your question.
I didn't know from the top of my head what job a Schulvikar had, so I did some research. I don't know if there still are any people in Germany having this position. If so, they are probably working at schools run by the (Catholic) church.
If I get it right, Schulvikare were young priests who taught children in small village schools. They taught them essentials like reading, writing and simple calculations. I suppose the schools were kind of church institutions, and the children of course also learned about the Bible, Christian faith and so forth. This was at the beginning of compulsory education at the beginning of the 1800s. The Schulvikare were also assistants to the village's main pastor and read early masses and assisted in hearing confessions. After a few years they would usually be assigned their own parish, and the next Schulvikar would come to the village.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
Janina

German Language

Janina