German Language/German names in English

Hello Janina.
I've seen the boy's name Albert also spelt Albrecht, is Albrecht an old way of spelling it or is it still in use today?
Also is it Rudolf or Rudolph and Carl or Karl?

Hello Mark,

thank you for your question.

Albrecht and Albert are both names that have a common origin in the ancient name Adalbert. So, they are not really different ways of spelling the same name, but rather two different names with a common ancestor. They are also pronounced differently.

On the other hand, Rudolf and Rudolph as well as Carl and Karl are just different ways of spelling the same name. However, I'd say that the varieties Rudolf and Karl would be more common today. This doesn't mean that the other varieties are wrong, just uncommon.

I'd also like to point out that Albrecht, Albert, and Rudolf (Rudolph) have become a bit "out of fashion". Mostly elderly people would have these names.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

German Language

As a native German speaker working professionally with languages, I can answer questions concerning German grammar, spelling and punctuation. I can also help with understanding and short German-English translations. As I also speak French, I might also be helpful concerning German-French translations. Translation only refers to short texts here.

I am a German native speaker working as a translator for English and French. I am concerned with language issues as grammar and spelling on a daily basis. I am very interested in these kind of topics, as any good translator should be. I also have a very good insight in the differences between English and German (and also French), so I might be able to give helpful explanations why specific things are the way they are in a specific language.

I am a member of the German Translator Association BDÜ.

My translations are published in form of manuals, company and product presentations, and websites, but you won't find my name there, as translators of technical texts are only rarely featured.

I studied translation at the University of Applied Sciences in Cologne (FH Köln), and have been working as a freelance translator for five years now.

I haven't received any awards, but receiving awards is really quite rare for translators.

Mostly translation agencies in many different countries.