German Language/Nickname for "Ajala"

Question
Dear Janina,

Could you please help me with this question?

I would like to know about nicknames for foreign names based on usual German nickname style -- specifically for the name "Ajala" (which is a foreign name). What I mean is, suppose there was a girl living in Germany whose name was Ajala -- based on how the German language usually forms nicknames, what is her nickname likely to be? Aja?

Thank you very much!

Very best wishes,

Maria

Answer
Hello Maria,

thank you for your question.

I really like your idea of Aja being the nickname for Ajala, and I think that it works very well.

As an alternative, I would try to work with the letter "i", which is often used in German to form a nickname. So, I thought of Aji or maybe also Jali.
I don't think that my ideas work better or worse than yours, they are just further possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Janina

German Language

Janina