German Language/Nickname Charly for Karl

Question
Dear Janina,

Would you be kind enough to help me? I have been researching German nicknames for the German name Karl, and found that Charly is quite common. Could you tell me, if you know, if this is pronounced the same way as the English "Charlie", and also, do you have any idea how long this nickname has been in use?

Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
Hello Ashley,

thank you for your question.

Yes, "Charly" and "Charlie" are pronounced the same way.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any data on when the name was introduced, but I looked for Germans and Austrians being called "Charlie", "Charly" and "Charles" on German Wikipedia. It looks like most of them were born in the late 30s to 50s. So, I guess you could say after the war. I presume that some who later went by any version of the English name were actually baptised "Karl".

Here some examples:
Charly Blecha, Austrian politician, born in 1933, baptised Karl
Charly Dörfel, German footballer, born in 1939, baptised Gerd
Charly Graf, German boxer, born in 1951, baptised Charles
Charles Brauer, German actor, born in 1935, baptised Charles
Charles Friedek, German athlete, born in 1971, baptised Charles

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Janina

German Language

Janina