German Language/Origin of "Herr Mac"

I have seen this way of addressing a man in several places, but can't find its origin. I'm guessing it came about during WWII because of its use in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. Do you know anything about it?

Hello Helen,

thank you for your question.

The origin of this quote is the 1981 Hollywood movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is just a way of one of the characters to snarkily address one of the villains. In this context of addressing someone, the German word "Herr" just means "mister". So, "Herr Mac" technically doesn't mean anything else than "Mister Mac". The fact that they used "Herr Mac" in the movie was supposed to make clear that the person being addressed was a German Nazi.

This quote from the movie seems to have become somewhat popular in English speaking countries and is probably often used in many different contexts. I don't think that it's broadly used in the rest of the world. I had to look it up to do some research on it, and when I first read it I didn't immediately think of the movie.

This quote's sole origin is the 1981 movie. There's no connection with real events during WWII.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

German Language

As a native German speaker working professionally with languages, I can answer questions concerning German grammar, spelling and punctuation. I can also help with understanding and short German-English translations. As I also speak French, I might also be helpful concerning German-French translations. Translation only refers to short texts here.

I am a German native speaker working as a translator for English and French. I am concerned with language issues as grammar and spelling on a daily basis. I am very interested in these kind of topics, as any good translator should be. I also have a very good insight in the differences between English and German (and also French), so I might be able to give helpful explanations why specific things are the way they are in a specific language.

I am a member of the German Translator Association BDÜ.

My translations are published in form of manuals, company and product presentations, and websites, but you won't find my name there, as translators of technical texts are only rarely featured.

I studied translation at the University of Applied Sciences in Cologne (FH Köln), and have been working as a freelance translator for five years now.

I haven't received any awards, but receiving awards is really quite rare for translators.

Mostly translation agencies in many different countries.