German Law/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Laws and countries3/17/2017Henning Haarhaus
  Q: If I live in Germany, but I am citizen of another country, which laws I am subject to? Some laws are ...
  A: Since the regulations regarding the age of consent are a matter of criminal law they apply to the ...
Age of consent in Germany3/17/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: Is it true that 14 years is the age of consent in Germany? Is it legal, for example, for a ...
  A: yes, the age of consent is 14 years in Germany (§ 176 StGB). As with other statutes in Germany, 14 ...
USA Asylum In Germany?3/14/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: I am a registered sex offender in the united states. I am discriminated against for housing and ...
  A: Germany only grants asylum to victims of political or religious persecution or people who are ...
Short trip abroad.3/10/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: I have a friend who lives in Germany. She's married and she took their baby to a little trip, to ...
  A: 1) Because the mother returned soon, she doesn't need to fear a proceeding under the Hague ...
Born 1962 to German mother and American father2/26/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: my question is about acquiring German citizenship, however my background to this question is rather ...
  A: you have two options: a) You could apply for naturalization from abroad based on being the child of ...
Sole custody right in Germany2/24/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: I am an American living abroad in Germany. 5 months ago I married an Estonian man and gave birth to ...
  A: your rights as the mother are exactly the same as those of the father. You are both parents, you ...
What age can a child say they don't want to see the other parent?2/21/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: I have a 16 year old son that lives with me in the US. His dad lives in Germany. The divorce and ...
  A: the information you received is wrong (a), but it is also irrelevant (b) (a) Under German law, the ...
German land title / US citizens2/16/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: Our family (deceased parents, surviving adult children) are naturalized US citizens, all born in ...
  A: the "Erbscheinantrag" actually is something different, it's a request with the local court in ...
Marriage Status for us citizen who married German2/1/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: I have a pretty complicated question. Back in 1995, while I was a student at the university in ...
  A: first of all, if she still lives in Germany, it shouldn't be too hard to find out where she lives. ...
About Marriage Visa and Separation1/28/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: First of all, i would like to thank you for kind informations and making it an open source that ...
  A: For the first 3 years of your stay in Germany, i.e. until July 2017, the residence permit is indeed ...
Asylum for US citizen in Germany1/25/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: my name is Rose and im a 19 year old trans girl from the United States. As you're probably aware, ...
  A: I am following the situation in your country closely and have great sympathies, but there is not ...
Spousal Support (alimony)1/17/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: I am divorced and have a court order to pay alimony. It is a set dollar amount. I am looking to ...
  A: a civil judgment would not impact your immigration status in any way. You may also want to consider ...
Power of Attorney POA1/14/2017Henning Haarhaus
  Q: My wife is a GE citizen. She is in her 80's. Her brother died and named her in his will/estate. If ...
  A: If she is alive, you would need a POA. Since I do not know the requirements and restrictions (e.g. ...
German citizenship via adoption1/6/2017Andreas Moser
  Q: Good Day, I am a person adopted by a German citizen. My adoption took place December of 2008 in ...
  A: Your adoption came two months too early indeed. It comes too late for you, but because this is a ...
Discretionary naturalisation in Germany12/30/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I'm a British citizen who has been living in Germany for four years. I realised pretty early on that ...
  A: discretionary early naturalisation is usually only granted for athletes who will represent German in ...
Parents debts12/30/2016Henning Haarhaus
  Q: my wifes German mother died recently, she had no money and the Stadt buried her, my wife and I both ...
  A: According to the rule of universal succession the heirs automatically step in the shoes of the ...
Tabelle duesseldorf 201712/24/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: please I need your help. For the year 2016, I was using the page 6 - "1. und 2. Kind" - line 10 ...
  A: here http://www.refrago.de/duesseldorfer_tabelle_2017_-_leitlinie_fuer_den_kindesunterhalt.html you ...
Marriage in Germany12/8/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I am from india and I came to poland with visa. My visa was until 29-11-2016 and then I got stamped ...
  A: It would be much easier for both of you to fly to India, get married in India, and then apply for a ...
Applying for citizenship during stay abroad12/3/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I hold a German permanent residency (unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis) and meet all requirements ...
  A: you can avoid losing the permanent residence permit by returning to Germany at least once every 6 ...
asylum rejection but has appeal by by my law.but but want to get marry12/1/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: i am mr j from nigeria, but have seeks for an asylum in germany as a homosexual male but have just ...
  A: You can get married to your girlfriend if you can manage to do it in time before you would be ...
German citizenship application with previous stays11/19/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I recently applied for the German citizenship after being in total over 6 years here. In 2007 & 2008 ...
  A: because the letter is basically promising you that you will receive German citizenship in June 2017, ...
question on deduction of alimoney from german taxes11/12/2016Henning Haarhaus
  Q: I live in Spain and my sons live in Germany with their mother. Every month I send to their mother ...
  A: Child support is not tax deductible if the paying parent claims for a tax exemption for children ...
Recognition of Danish marriage in Germany11/11/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I recently got married with my girlfriend in Denmark to avoid complicated German bureaucracy. I have ...
  A: as Denmark is another EU state, the recognition or validity of its marriages are usually no problem ...
german citizenship11/8/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: My husband is a 30 year old , US citizen living in NYC, and his father is a german citizen , very ...
  A: If your husband's father still had German citizenship at the time of your husband's birth, your ...
Becoming a German citizen if you have not resided there11/7/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I am an American citizen married to a German citizen. We have resided in the German speaking part of ...
  A: in addition to the ties you have, you would also need professional ties to Germany through your ...
Its complicated11/4/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I was on asylum in Germany for about 2years and 10 months then i got deported back to Pakistan on 18 ...
  A: oh yes, that's absolutely possible. In fact, that's the easiest way. You just need to make sure ...
child matience10/30/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: if a child born of phillipine mother and german father is the father under german law required to ...
  A: Yes. German family law postulates the obligation for the non-custodial parent to financially ...
Child visitation rights.10/26/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I am a UK resident and apart of the British Army. I was married to a German National and we have a ...
  A: like you, I don't see any reason to stop the flights to the UK. They have been going on for a long ...
German Passport for non-EU citizens10/18/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: As engineer, I have been living and working in Bavaria since 4 years now. My level of German is B2. ...
  A: no, there is really no chance to obtain German citizenship by naturalization before you have ...
"Quellensteuer für Steuerausländer"9/15/2016Henning Haarhaus
  Q: Haarhaus, I am a German citizen, travelling from country to country and working as a freelance ...
  A: German national tax law does not provide any regulations in regard to "Quellensteuer". However, the ...
StAngRegG and Citizenship by Descent9/11/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: After reading the various FAQs on your website, my circumstances appear to be a somewhat unique case ...
  A: that is a rather peculiar case indeed. § 9 I StAngRegG indeed does not refer to the requirement to ...
Wiedereinbürgerung9/10/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: My mother was born in Berlin to Jewish parents. She found herself in war-torn France in June 1940, ...
  A: besides your mother's marriage, we have another problem: Until 1953, you could only receive German ...
Inheritance9/2/2016Henning Haarhaus
  Q: 2 years ago, my uncle (a German citizen, living in Germany) died and in his will he left everything ...
  A: Unless otherwise stipulated in your uncles or his partners will his estate had merged with the ...
Renewing permanent residence card?8/27/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I'm married to a German, lived in Germany for 4 years, and obtained the permanent resident (PR) ...
  A: your residence permit in Germany normally expires once you leave Germany for more than 6 months (§ ...
Secondment counting towards naturalisation8/22/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: There's a possibility that I will be seconded to Germany next year for up to two years. At the end, ...
  A: the 8 years (which are only 6 years if you speak German at B2 level) do not need to be consecutive. ...
Secondment to Germany from UK8/22/2016Henning Haarhaus
  Q: My girlfriend has been offered a job in Berlin. I am one of three British directors of a British ...
  A: I cannot tell you if it would turn out to be a win-win scenario for you because I do not know the ...
Power of Attorney Dissolution8/21/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: Does the Power of Attorney cease upon the death of the person you have the POA on - in Germany- as ...
  A: § 168 BGB [the German Civil Code]: When the POA ceases is based on the underlying contractual ...
German Naturalisation8/11/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: My girlfriend and I plan to marry at the end of this month. I also would like to start the countdown ...
  A: Without you and your wife living in Germany you cannot get a residence permit. But you should know ...
Art 116 Par 2/adopted descendants' eligibility7/30/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: I have looked through and can't find this question answered elsewhere, and hope that it may be ...
  A: My wishlist is indeed always up to date: ...
§ 14 StAG financial requirements7/29/2016Andreas Moser
  Q: It has certainly been very informative. I see that you recently answered a couple of questions about ...
  A: 1) There is no minimum income. You would need to show that if you were to move to Germany, you could ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

German Law

Andreas Moser

Top Expert on this page