You are here:

German Law/German law for child maintenance payments


My partners child was born in new Zealand to a German girl, she took his child back to Germany without his permission and refuses to have any contact with him and will not let him see his child. 2 years later my partner has received a letter from the German welfare system demanding monthly child support payments plus interest. As the child is technically a nz citizen and was technically stolen from him, do these payments have to be made? They were a couple when she took his child back to Germany and he has already spent thousands trying to get him back.

Dear Kayla,
Unfortunately the father is still legally obligated to pay child support and the payments can get enforced in NZ if he is not paying voluntarily. If a Hague Convention case is pending this doesn't change his obligation to pay support. I hope your partner has a good lawyer because Hague Convention cases are hard to win in Germany. If he needs advice/help with this matter he can contact me at

Carolin Burgess  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]