German Law/German law for child maintenance payments

Question
My partners child was born in new Zealand to a German girl, she took his child back to Germany without his permission and refuses to have any contact with him and will not let him see his child. 2 years later my partner has received a letter from the German welfare system demanding monthly child support payments plus interest. As the child is technically a nz citizen and was technically stolen from him, do these payments have to be made? They were a couple when she took his child back to Germany and he has already spent thousands trying to get him back.

Answer
Dear Kayla,
Unfortunately the father is still legally obligated to pay child support and the payments can get enforced in NZ if he is not paying voluntarily. If a Hague Convention case is pending this doesn't change his obligation to pay support. I hope your partner has a good lawyer because Hague Convention cases are hard to win in Germany. If he needs advice/help with this matter he can contact me at csb@germanlegalservices.com

Sincerely,
Carolin Burgess  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess