You are here:

German Law/German Pension



   I've been asked to find out if my mother (who recently passed this year) has any money in a German pension from her early working years. How would I find this out? She has lived in the United States for the last 48 years and still kept her German status and never quite became a US Citizen.I don't have any type of social security type number for her in Germany although possible to get it from her three brothers who are still there currently.


Dear Tom,

You need to contact the Bundesversicherungsanstalt in a German letter and ask them if your mother has any claims and you have to ask them to send you forms to fill out to claim the pension. You can contact me at, I have handled cases like this successfully in the past.

Carolin Burgess  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]