You are here:

German Law/Grandparent custody


My friend's daughter has been advised that on 11th December the German family court will terminate her parental rights. My friend wants custody of her 2 year old grandson assigned to her and both the mother and father of child are in agreement.
What documents will my friend need to present to family court to strengthen her case?

Dear Nicole,

Your friend normally only needs to take her passport to the court hearing. The parents of the child need to be present for the hearing too to give their permission that the grandmother should receive permission to receive custody.

Normally the judge will ask a social worker to write a report if it would be in the best interest of the child to live with his grandmother. Her home should be a safe place to live for a 2 year old.

Your friend contact me at if she needs further advice.

Carolin Burgess  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.