You are here:

German Law/living in germany on militry orders


Me my husband and my daughter are living in Germany on military orders for the next 2 years. I am the only parent on the birth certificate so therefore i only needed my signature. My daughters biological father has nothing to do with her nd has seen her maybe two times since she was born and she is almost 3. He also has seen2 felonies so before we moved here to8 months ago a lawyer told me that after6  months anything court ordered from him , he would have to come here because after 6 months this is my home's record .. is this true

Hello Ashley,

yes, after about half a year of living in Germany and having settled in, you and your daughter will have established habitual residence in Germany which means that Germany will have jurisdiction for all child-related matters for the duration of your stay.

Enjoy Germany!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.