German Law/re-entering Germany

I have been in Germany for 8 months trying to get a residence permit. I was denied the permit and have to leave Germany on 24 Nov. 2012. I will not be able to return to Germany till 24 Feb. 2013. I will be in the United States between my departure date and the date I will be able to return. My question is: If I marry my girlfriend while in the United States ( in Ohio ), will I be able to return with her as a married couple before my 90 day waiting period is finished? Thank you.

Dear John,
I am International Family & Inheritance Law lawyer therefore I can only answer basic Immigration Law questions. You have to contact the German Consulate in Chicago to find out if you are permitted to travel back to Germany before the 90 day waiting period is over after you got married to your German girlfriend. They might be able to give you a document for the airport officials. Unfortunately they are not always very helpful at the Consulate. I would be able to assist by drafting the document and contacting the Consulate. You can contact me at

Carolin Burgess
German Lawyer  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.