You are here:

German Law/Special health care paiments responsibility



I have a question concerning special health care paiments responsibility for my estranged and now crippled father in Germany. My German parents divorced 30 years ago and I followed my mother to Canada where she re-married. I took-on Canadian citizenship, since Germany does not allow dual citizenship. Since the 1980's I saw my father sporadically and in 2010 he remarried. He fell ill with a degenartive illness. He was receiving special home-care under a Governmental health plan. Recently I received a letter from stating that my father was put into special care services and that I was responsible for the paiments of his care. I never got along with his new wife and during one of my visits she had told me that one day it would be my turn to pay for my father! I guess she put down my name for these paymnets. Has my pay day really come? What can I do to not be responsible for such paiments for which I have no say about or was even made aware of before-hand. Does his new legal wife have those responsibilities since they are legally married? I understand that it sounds cold, but my biological father has never done anything or paid for anything from his end while I grew-up. I look forward to reading your answer and advice.

Kind regards,

Mark P.

Dear Mark,
According to German law you are legally obligated to support your father. But the the German authorities are probably not able to enforce the payments in Canada. This is the case for the US. I would need to do some research to see if this applies for Canada too. You can contact me directly at
Carolin Burgess

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]