German Law/Divorce while abroad in Germany

Question
I married a German citizen 2 years ago in Bahrain, and moved to Germany last November. I'm a Pakistani citizen and he is a German citizen. We had no relationship to speak of, so basically we were separated. I was forced to work as a housewife, even though I am a dentist and forced to serve his sick parents as well as clean, cook etc.

Now I want to file for divorce and damages. But I just got a dental practice license in Saudi Arabia now so I can't take much time off. Can I file for divorce while abroad?

Would be really helpful if you could please take out time to answer. Thank you.

Answer
Yes, you can file for divorce in Germany without you being there. As long as your husband continues to live there, Germany retains jurisdiction.

You will need to hire an attorney in Germany to represent you.

Please have a look at my FAQ about the process of a divorce in Germany: http://moser-law.com/faq.htm#divorce

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser