German Law/Divorce while abroad in Germany

I married a German citizen 2 years ago in Bahrain, and moved to Germany last November. I'm a Pakistani citizen and he is a German citizen. We had no relationship to speak of, so basically we were separated. I was forced to work as a housewife, even though I am a dentist and forced to serve his sick parents as well as clean, cook etc.

Now I want to file for divorce and damages. But I just got a dental practice license in Saudi Arabia now so I can't take much time off. Can I file for divorce while abroad?

Would be really helpful if you could please take out time to answer. Thank you.

Yes, you can file for divorce in Germany without you being there. As long as your husband continues to live there, Germany retains jurisdiction.

You will need to hire an attorney in Germany to represent you.

Please have a look at my FAQ about the process of a divorce in Germany:

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK