You are here:

German Law/Divorce fro germany


My husband was formerly married to a German woman.Onced he came back to the states, she filled for divorce in Germany. He was told that the divorced was granted and he did not contest it, but he can't find any of the paperwork.  I need to get a copy their divorce decree, which she filed about 5 years ago in Germany.  Do you have any idea how I would go about getting this? He currently need the document very soon for his JOB. Thanks for any help you can provide to me!

Dear Paul,

You would need to write to the German court to ask them to send you a notarized copy/beglaubigte Abschrift of the divorce degree. Unfortunately German courts only respond to letters if they are written in German. I would be glad to organize the divorce degree for you for a fee of $300.00. I have done this many times before.

You can contact me directly at and we can set up a telephone consultation etc.

Carolin Burgess
German Attorney at Law

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.