You are here:

German Law/Marriage in Germany


My boyfriend and I are military currently stationed in Vilseck, Germany and would like to get married.  What course of action do we take to go about this and will the marriage certificate be valid in the United States as well.

Hello Sherri,

you can go to the City Hall ("Rathaus") in Vilseck. They have quite some experience with weddings of Americans (I once translated at one myself) and will tell you about the current requirements. They mainly need your birth certificates and passports and you will need to vow that you are both single (or divorced or widowed).

All the best!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.