German Law/payment to nachlassgericht

I am pensioner,Australian Citizen,living at outskirts of Melbourne. I am currently finalizing paperwork for the rejection of inheritance. I have recently mailed a registered letter with delivery advice to a German Nachlassgericht. The Justizangestellte had to sign for the receipt of the document. I have now received an invoice (via a German Bank) to pay EURO 10.00 being a Kostenrechnung (most probably for the signatur). Question: do I have to pay?
appreciate you response.

cheers  Victor Helbig

Hello Victor,

legally, you probably have to pay. I say probably, because it depends on what the 10 invoice is actually for, for which I would have to take a closer look at it.

Practically however, nothing will happen to you if you won't pay. The German court may send you a few more reminders and then they will notice that enforcement of 10 halfway around the globe is disproportional and would therefore drop it.

You not paying has no influence on your rejection of the inheritance.

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK