You are here:

German Law/Becoming German through civil union


I am a Thai national and have entered a civil union with my German partner in September 2011. We've been living together in Thailand ever since we met in May 2008. He is employed by a Thai company here in Thailand.

We do not currently intend to return to Germany to live in the near future. Is it possible for me to apply formgerman citizenship or obtain a German passport under these circumstances?
How and when can I apply for a German Passport and with what pre-requisites? Thank you.


the requirements for civil partners of German citizens are the same as for spouses ( 9 StAG).

You will need to be fluent in German and convince Germany that you will be fully integrated in the German society. You will also have to give up your Thai citizenship.

There is no fixed minimum residency requirement and theoretically it is also possible to apply for German citizenship from abroad ( 14 StAG), but in the latter case you need to prove special ties to Germany (not to a certain German citizen). Usually, the immigration authorities will be sceptical if you have not yet lived in Germany for at least 3 years.

My FAQ about German citizenship law:

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.