You are here:

German Law/Durable Power of Attorney


I am in need of a durable power of attorney in order to open up a bank account in the US on my mothers behalf. She is german and resides in germany. Will a standard DPOA ( as found online) be valid?  
Thank you for your response

Dear Nancy,

I am not sure what the US bank requires. You can let your mother sign the power of attorney and you can provide the bank with a copy of your mother's passport as well. You have to talk to the bank manager and see if this is enough.

Carolin Burgess  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.