You are here:

German Law/divorce, where to file in Germany


my husband and me we are germany passport holder. we are living separate last two years.Now iam in paris .I want to divorce my husband.I have no idea  which office to contact  in nurenberg (germany) for divorce. At first what should i do? please help me

Hello Shahida,

if you want to file for divorce in Nürnberg (which you can do if your husband lives there), you would need to file for divorce with the Local Court ("Amtsgericht") there. Here are their contact details:

But in Germany the petition for divorce can only be filed by a lawyer, so you would need to instruct a German lawyer to do that on your behalf.

Depending on how long you have been living in France, you may also be able to file for divorce in France.

For more on the divorce process in Germany, please take a look at my FAQ on divorce:

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.