You are here:

German Law/Elternunterhalt when living abroad


Dear Carolin,

I have gotten a request form a Kreis in Germany that is requesting payments from me with regards to my biological dad. I am living in London.

I have gotten a letter to provide my income so the german state can calculate how much i would be able to contribute towards the costs of his care in Germany.

I am minded to not reply and thus not pay the german state. I was wondering, if i would not pay, can the german state force somehow a payment from my side?

best regards,

Dear Lars,

According to German law you are obligated to pay support if your income is high enough. The German Sozialamt could file a law suit against you if you don't cooperate and enforce the payment in London.

I would like to set up a consultation with you to discuss your situation in person with you. I have a lot of experience with international support enforcement. So I will be able to let you know what your risks are for the enforcement. You can contact me directly at

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.