You are here:

German Law/Loss of German citzensip


My husbands family immigrated to South Africa in the 1960s my husband was born in Germany an both his parents were citizens but they naturalized naturalized became South African citizens while my husband were a child.  We wish to apply for German passports for our children to be able South study in Germany would they be able to get them

Hello Mariza,

if your husband's parents applied for naturalization in South Africa for themselves and for their son (your husband) without obtaining prior approval from Germany pursuant to 25 II StAG (which I don't know if they did), then they and your husband lost their German citizenship in the process: 25 I StAG in connection with 19 II StAG.

Therefore your husband could not pass on German citizenship to your children.

I see that you are writing from Italy. If you are Italian, your children might however be Italian citizens and thus EU citizens, which gives them te same rights as German citizens to study in Germany.

For more on German citizenship law please see
- my FAQ:
- my infographic:

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.