German Law/spousal maintenance: new partner

Question
If spousal maintenance can be reduced or refused based on the receiving spouse's new relationship, how is that new relationship defined? Please address if and how the following may apply: duration, social ties, or economic ties, or ? And can you provide a reference to the statute?

Answer
Hello,

the statute is 1579 no. 2 BGB and it kicks in once the receiving spouse has been in a serious new partnership for several (usually between 2 and 3) years. Because this statute is connected to alimony law, the economic ties between the new partners are more important, but close social ties (like living together or a new child together) can imply these economic ties.

I could say much more, but I would need to know more details of your specific case.

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser