German Law/German Child Support

Question
Hi.
I was hoping you could clarify the law regarding German child support laws as I have received a letter today & find it rather confusing.

Basically I live in the UK & the mother (who is German) has relocated back to Germany with my 7yr old son. Today I have received a letter requesting I start immediate payment for 272 euros a month from "Bernkastel Wittlich".
I am at present struggling to run a business in the UK & my total income this year has been less than £600 per month.

Due to this, the figure of 272 euros seems very excessive & I cannot understand how they worked it out without knowing my financial circumstances? ... Could you possibly tell me what I should be asked to pay (on earnings of under £600 per month)?

Many thanks for reading
Mark

Answer
Hello Mark,

the county simply assumed that you were able to pay the minimum child support. You do not need to worry about this letter much, as they cannot force you to pay. Only a court can.

With your current income, you do not need to pay any child support at all. Under the German child support guidelines ("Düsseldorfer Tabelle"), you do not need to pay any child support if your net income is less than 1,000 EUR per month.

If you have any documents showing your income, it would be advisable to contact the county and to submit the proof, so that they will hopefully stop sending you letters for the time being.

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser