German Law/Possible Child Support?

Two years ago,I met for the first time my now 21 year old German born Son. His wife and I were never married and separated before he was born. He tells me he was raised by his grandmother.

I just received a notice from the Dept. of Justice for the German Government requesting a blood test to verify paternity.

I am not denying paternity but I am assuming that they are or will attempt to possibly collect support payments of some sort and would like to know what to expect. Is this something that requires a lawyer?

Dear Ken,

Your son could possibly claim support for the future if he has no own income but he can not claim back support.

It sounds like the German Youth Department paid the minimum support for your son in the past of ca. 176,00 EUR per months. They are allowed to claim those payments back from you. Those payments get regularly internationally enforced by wage garnishment if this is necessary.

You can contact me directly at and we can set up a telephone consultation so that I can review the documents you received etc.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.