You are here:

German Law/Refugee travel document recognised by Germany?


Hi, i live in Italy and have been recognize as a political asylum refugee and i have 1951 Geneva convention travel document as my passport,i can't go back to my country or have my own country passport and i now have a German woman who is pregnant for me and we would like to live together,i want to know if German immigration office will accept my travel documents as my passport and give me working permit or they would ask me to bring my country of origin passport,because i heard they only give permit to people holding their country of origin passport,thanks.

Buongiorno Rashid,

Germany should recognise the refugee travel document issued by Italy ( 3 III no. 1 AufenthV).

If you apply for a visa at the German Embassy in Italy, they should issue a visa in your Italian refugee travel document. However, once you settle in Germany, your next refugee travel document will be issued by Germany.

There is an Agreement by the Council of Europe from 20 April 1959 which has been ratified by both Italy and Germany and which states that you can travel to Germany without the need for a visa ( 18 AufenthV).

Now from the procedural law to the substantive law: Once your child will have been born, you need to acknowledge paternity on an official document. If the mother agrees, you can sign a joint custody declaration. With that, you would receive German residence in accordance with 28 I no. 3 AufenthG. This residence permit comes with a work permit.

Buon prosegiumento!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me. Coincidentally, I live in Italy at the moment as well.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.