German Law/Want to get divorced

I would like to start the process of divorce. I know we have to be legally separated for a year before filing for divorce, but is it  possible to have the separation legally recognized?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Dear  Christine,

If you want to file for divorce in Germany there is no procedure to recognize the separation period legally. But there are certain rules you have to observe to be legally separated. You have to have at least separate bedrooms and quit having regular meals together.

Your lawyer also can consider to file for separation support.

I would be glad to have an initial one hour advisory consultation by phone with you. I can send you a client information form for you to fill out.  I will review your information and afterwards I can tell you in detail what would be the best option for you. You can contact me directly at

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.