German Law/Facilitated naturalization - StAG 14 question

Dear Mr. Moser,

I am a German descent from my mothers side, and the new facilitated naturalization law under StAG 14 for children born before 1975 of German mothers and foreign fathers applies to our family. My mother was born in 1952 in the US to a German mother and a Colombian father. She acquired the US citizenship by birth. My mother is staring her application for German naturalization under StAG 14 via the German Embassy in Bogota, Colombia.

I am now 28 years old (born in 1985) and I'm wondering whether I could apply for German citizenship after my mother gets naturalized (in case she does). Nevertheless, at the German embassy in Bogota, Colombia (where we live), they haven't really been able to tell us whether I could apply for citizenship after my mother is naturalized. I wanted to know your thoughts on that.

Thank you very much.

As your mother will (hopefully) receive naturalization, her German citizenship will not be awarded retroactively. She will only be a German citizen from the time of naturalization onwards.

The effect of her German citizenship will therefore not be backdated to 1985, when you were born. You will therefore not receive German citizenship in the process.
(If you were still a minor, your mother could include you in her application.)

The only chance you have of obtaining German citizenship is the regular naturalization from abroad according to 14 StAG: The main requirement is fluency in German. In that case, Germany would unfortunately also ask you to give up your existing citizenship(s).

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK