German Law/custody for married couples in Germany

Question
Hello Moser. I need your clearly advice on our situation. We are marry living in germany wife she is germany citizen am from kenya i want to know if our marriage give me automatical right on five months daughter or i and my wife has to sign costody right. I heard that marriage couples dont need to sign whiles you are married you have right. Both couples has the right on the on the baby.

Answer
Hello Dan,

you are absolutely right: Married couples in Germany automatically have shared custody. This also remains the case if you separate or divorce, until the court would make a decision about transferring custody to one parent only.

For more about child custody law in Germany: http://moser-law.com/faq.htm#custody

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser