You are here:

German Law/Divorced, child in Germany, father in UK - payments?


I married a German woman in the UK where we both lived. Now divorced and she is living and working in Germany with our 3 year old boy. I paid her a lump sum to divorce. My question is about the child.

I make monthly payments according to the 'Dusseldorfer table' (apologies for spelling) and pay an additional 50 monthly into a child trust fund. She is now asking me to pay for a sports club and says I have to according to "Mehrbedarf".

Do I have to pay? She is working.

Dear Sam,

According to German law you are obligated to pay for the sports club (Mehrbedarf). The mother is the primary care taker so you have to pay for all your son's expense, unless they are very unreasonable. You are normally not obligated to pay for the trust fund unless you signed a notarized agreement that states that you will pay into a trust fund.

Carolin Burgess
German Attorney at Law  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.