German Law/can I get germany passport

Hi there, my gram pa is Germany from Berlin, he move to Brasil after the second war as legal immigrant. is any chance to get Germany passport?? my father is looking for the birth certificate and all the documents to prove. my granny is been to Germany but she never did a Germany passport(but when she married she lost her daddy surname ). Can you help me on that please

Andrea Natorf

Hello Andrea,

you could have German citizenship if your father still had German citizenship when you were born.

If your father never had German citizenship, then he couldn't pass it on.
If he had German citizenship but lost it before you were born, then he couldn't pass it on to you.

For more on Germany citizenship:

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK