German Law/can I get germany passport

Question
Hi there, my gram pa is Germany from Berlin, he move to Brasil after the second war as legal immigrant. is any chance to get Germany passport?? my father is looking for the birth certificate and all the documents to prove. my granny is been to Germany but she never did a Germany passport(but when she married she lost her daddy surname ). Can you help me on that please

Regards

Andrea Natorf

Answer
Hello Andrea,

you could have German citizenship if your father still had German citizenship when you were born.

If your father never had German citizenship, then he couldn't pass it on.
If he had German citizenship but lost it before you were born, then he couldn't pass it on to you.

For more on Germany citizenship: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/faq-citizenship-law-in-germany/

German Law

Andreas Moser