You are here:

German Law/Indian Citizen - Work Permit Extension


I am a software engineer and I have got a work permit for 6 months. It is highly possible that my work will extend beyond 6 months. I am an Indian citizen.

Is it possible for me to get my Work Permit extended while I am in Germany or it would require me to come back to India and apply for extension.

Thanks in advance

You can get the residence and work permit extended while working in Germany, especially if you will continue to work in the same job for the same company.

As soon as you will know for sure, get it confirmed by the company in writing, and take all of these documents to the Immigration Agency where you will receive an extension of your residence and work permit. Because this may take a while, I would recommend going to them as soon as possible.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]