You are here:

German Law/Getting Married in Germany


I am currently stationed at Vilseck, however my fiancé is in the US. She is currently getting a passport and will fly over here to marry me. Once we get married will she be able to stay in country or what are the requirements we will have to complete. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,


Hello Nicholas,

with a US passport, your fiancée can travel to Germany without a visa for 3 months.

If you get married within that time, she will then fall under the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) which means she will be exempt from German immigration law - just like you are. She will be able to get a SOFA stamp or SOFA card on post which will be proof of that status.

It is quite an easy process and you should not run into any problems.

Enjoy your time in Germany!
(I used to live in Vilseck myself.)

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.