German Law/Getting Married in Germany

Question
I am currently stationed at Vilseck, however my fiancé is in the US. She is currently getting a passport and will fly over here to marry me. Once we get married will she be able to stay in country or what are the requirements we will have to complete. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

NICK

Answer
Hello Nicholas,

with a US passport, your fiancée can travel to Germany without a visa for 3 months.

If you get married within that time, she will then fall under the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) which means she will be exempt from German immigration law - just like you are. She will be able to get a SOFA stamp or SOFA card on post which will be proof of that status.

It is quite an easy process and you should not run into any problems.

Enjoy your time in Germany!
(I used to live in Vilseck myself.)

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser