German Law/please help


I have a son with my ex German wife, what rights do i have to see him if the mother is not cooperate with me.

Dear Nicholas,

According to German law you are allowed to spend every other weekend and every Wednesday afternoon and evening with your son. If he is  under two years old he normally is not allowed to stay over night at your place. You also have the right to spend half of the school vacation time with your son but a lot of German judges don't allow parents to take the child for a visits outside of Europe before the child is 8 years old.

You can contact me at if you need further advice or if you want to involve the Youth Department or you need to file for visitation rights at the German court.

Carolin Burgess
German Attorney at Law

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]