German Law/Divorce


My husband is in the German Air Force stationed here in alamogordo nm. He recently up and left and wants a divorce, he wants to leave to Germany and leave me with nothing but bills. Our divorce hasn't really been filed yet and he plans on leaving before it gets filed so he doesn't have to give me anything. He gets a settlement from the Air Force and he wants to deny me this as well. He had my access to the base denied, but we are still married my daughter goes to school on base so this makes things difficult. What can I do to get my access back and what can I do to ensure he gives me some settlement to make sure my children are ok till I can get back on my feet?

Dear Ida,

According to German law and New Mexican law your husband is obligated to support you and your daughter financially while you are still married. If your husband is not giving you any spending money you can contact your husband's commander or a German Air Force law center for advice.

You also have the right to receive a part of your husband's retirement assets.

If your husband moves back to Germany my partner in Munich and I would be glad to claim separation support, child support & organize the divorce for you.   

You can contact me directly at if you want to set up a telephone consultation.

Carolin Burgess
German Attorney at Law

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]