German Law/Germany's Inquiries

Dear Mr. Haarhaus

I have received a questionnaire from the Finanzamt Neubrandenburg in regards to the beneficiaries names, addresses, bank account and signatures of all the benefactors, of  my father's estate. My father being a former German citizen was collecting a very small (RIA) foreigners pension of about 100 EU per quarter, my guess is for the last 8 years. He died almost two years ago.  My question is whether the german institution has any claim to a fully Canadian estate with Canadian benefactors when all pension clawbacks have already been settled. Is there any tax liability? And if no? Why are they asking me for this information and am I legally obliged to forward it?

Thank you for your time

German Inheritance Taxation depends on either the last residence of the deceased up to five years prior to his death or the location of assets in Germany. It could also be that the deceased was liable for income taxes regarding his pension and that he did not pay it.

German Law

Henning Haarhaus

I can answer questions in English, German and French. Practice in inheritance law, tax, labour and contract law for private clients. Services also rendered in the fields of business & commercial law; e.g. business organizations, contracts, debt collections, leasing law. Representing clients all over Germany. NO CONSULTANCY ON FAMILY AND IMMIGRATION LAW.

Working since 1999 in the forenamed fields. Henning Haarhaus` experience includes services in the legal department of Roedl & partner, the biggest tax consultancy firm of German origin. Appointed Bar Certified Tax Law Practioner in 2007.

Bar Association of Berlin, KIWANIS

German licensed lawyer and bar certified tax specialist