German Law/Inheritance

Question
My brother - a South African married to a German Citizen, resides in Germany for 12 years has now passed away in Germany. No children, but the couple signed an  Ante nuptial Contract in South Africa. What inheritance law applies? No will was left? Property and car is in spouses name. Only a bank account in my brothers name? Please advise.
What Law will apply?
Thank you!

Answer
Dear Mia,

if there was no will left South African inheritance law applies.

If there was no will it depends on South African law if you will receive a part of the money in your brother's bank account. You would need to contact a lawyer in South Africa to find out if you have a right to claim a part of the money.

Sincerely,
Carolin Burgess
German Attorney at Law

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess