German Law/Kindergeld


My husband is blue card holder in Germany. We have joined our child to kindergarten. I am in Germany for past 6 months. now i have to take my son to my country for few months. I am not sure, it can take more than 6 months for me to return. Will my husband still receive kindergeld for this period? Please let us know.

Dear Tejaswini,

Your husband is only allowed to receive Kindergeld if the child lives permanently in Germany. If you move for over six months of the year to a different country with your child your husband has no right to continue to receive Kindergeld. You can only take the child for up to 3 months out of Germany if you want to keep the Kindergeld.

Carolin Burgess
German Attorney at Law

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.