German Law/Land titles

Question
My mother recently passed away, and she grew up in Germany. Her brother still lives there, they have a house there which he lives in. We are not sure if her name is on the Land title or registry. We can't ask him, because he thinks we are trying to throw him out of the house. Which we have no intention of doing. Could you please advise on or if we can find this out without having to go through him. Also, how we would go about doing this?
Thanks very much.

Answer
In order to make an inquiry at the local land registry of deeds and ask for an extract from the register you would need the legal land description of the property (Gemarkung = local subdistrict; Flur = cadastral district; Flurstück = cadastral unit; Blatt = folio). If you do not have these data you can ask the cadastral office.

You will only get an answer from the land registry if you can argue that you have a legitimate interest in obtaining the information. Claiming an ownership title would be sufficient.

German Law

Henning Haarhaus