You are here:

German Law/Getting married in Germany


Hi! I am from the Philippines residing in UK for the past 4 years as a student. I have a German Boyfriend & we wish to get married in Germany. However, there are a lot of requirements on my part & the process is very long in order to obtain a Visa for Marriage document & my UK Visa will expire soon. Can I be sponsored by my Fiancée to go to Germany as a tourist? If yes, can I apply the Visa for Marriage Document in Germany while I will stay there as a tourist?

Many Thanks.

Hello Rose,

yes, it is possible that you will be able to get a tourist Schengen visa through your boyfriend's sponsorship and that you will be able to get married in Germany during that stay.

But if you are still in the UK for at least a month or two, I highly recommend that you register to get married in the UK and that your boyfriend will come to the UK for the marriage ceremony. It is much easier, quicker and requires less paperwork than getting married in Germany.

Once you are married, you will easily obtain a visa for Germany (it will even be free of charge for you then) or if your boyfriend decides to stay in the UK, you will get an EEA residence card to stay in the UK.

All the best!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.