You are here:

German Law/Paternity and child support in Germany


QUESTION: If a mother gave birth to a child in Germany and no father was named.. Is there a statute of limitations on how long she has to request a DNA test for child support purposes? Would Germany have jurisdiction to request a DNA test from someone in California?

ANSWER: No statute of limitation to my knowledge.
Pursuant 100 of the German Family Court Proceedings Act (FamFG) German courts are competent to handle such cases if either the child, the mother or father is a German citizen or has his/ her residence in Germany.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: So the child (6 years of age) and mother living in Germany can go after the "alleged" father in California for a DNA text and child support?? What if no man is on the birth certificate but another man in Germany has raised this child since 6 months old and has visitation with the child?

Mother and child can sue in Germany both for DNA test and child support. The enforcement of such judgment for a DNA test in the US is a further question. Involvement of other man does not affect claims unless the mother had been married at the time when the child was born.

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Henning Haarhaus


I can answer questions in English, German and French. Practice in inheritance law, tax, labour and contract law for private clients. Services also rendered in the fields of business & commercial law; e.g. business organizations, contracts, debt collections, leasing law. Representing clients all over Germany. NO CONSULTANCY ON FAMILY AND IMMIGRATION LAW.


Working since 1999 in the forenamed fields. Henning Haarhaus` experience includes services in the legal department of Roedl & partner, the biggest tax consultancy firm of German origin. Appointed Bar Certified Tax Law Practioner in 2007.

Bar Association of Berlin, KIWANIS


German licensed lawyer and bar certified tax specialist

©2017 All rights reserved.