German Law/Birth Certificate

Does a german woman having a child in Germany have to give a name for the father on the birth certificate??  If she chooses to give a name and the person signs in agreement, will the German government immediately attempt to retrieve child support if the two are NOT married??

Dear Tremaine,

The mother will give the father's name to the Standesamt to obtain a birth certificate. She has to contact the Youth Department and they will step in with support if the father is not paying. They will enforce the back support and future support but it will take quite some time.

C. Burgess  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.