You are here:

German Law/German Ancestor


I would like to very much to emigrate to Germany with my family.

I came across your website and am quite excited about the prospect
that you may be able to advise me. I have a German Grandmother and her daughter (my Mother) was born in Berlin, Germany in 1935. I have the original birth certificates and can send them. The birth certificate or Geburtsurkunde for my mother states all the details of her birth in Berlin. The document is signed and stamped in
original. My mother later married my father who was a Pakistani and so I was born in Pakistan.

So, can I claim citizenship by ancestry? If, so please let me know what documents you would like me to send across to you?
I look forward to hear from you.


Dear Bilal Ahmed,

A client of mine informed me that he received the German citizenship in a similar situation like yours. But his father was German. You have to contact the German Embassy in Pakistan. Unfortunately I am not an Immigration Law expert.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.